Sunday, August 22, 2010

My Schedule

Since we are starting up homeschool for the year next week, I have been working on my schedule.  I love the book "Managers of Their Homes"  and years ago when I just had 4 children, I started using the model she describes in her book.  I actually love to make schedules (I know, maybe I'm weird that way).  Anyway, it really gives me a base for our day during the week.  I'm not a slave to it and we are more lax in the afternoon, but if you have more than a couple of kidos, it really helps.
So, I start with some large graph paper (one inch grid.)  I write the children's names, plus me, across the top and each square is a half hour long.  The book does come with a kit to make a large one of these schedules and a few small ones, but I used it up a long time ago.  Then, as you can see below, is how I divide up the day.  The book has many chapters, such as one on the older kids helping with the younger ones so they are quiet during school time.  Anyway, I hang this up in the school room and also make a copy for the  kitchen and after a few weeks, we are pretty much on auto-pilot. Every year is a little different because I always like to try new things.  For instance, this year my 7th grader will be doing 2 DVD Abeka classes.  I felt that he needed more school work and some professional help with English :o) The "time with Mom" is when I check their work from the day before and go over their assignments for that day.  H.O.D. that I am doing with the girls stands for "Heart of Dakota."  I'm so excited about this.  It is a new curriculum that I found that combines history, science, Bible, crafts and reading.  It's similar to Sonlight but simplified.  Well, hope this helps someone out there.  Happy Parenting!

10 comments:

  1. I use MOTH too. I love it as well as Managers of Their Chores. I just posted about it last week. Thanks for sharing what to do when I use up the scheduling chart paper that comes with the book :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! I like the grid paper, I need to finish reading my MOTH book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one busy looking board! I thought my calendar was booked. That is only one days worth of assignments. Gees, amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun!! It looks so great- I love seeing how other families plan things! Have I mentioned before that we use HOD too!? Have a great day!
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow,very nice.Happy schooling!Blessings,Marla Grace p.s. love the picture

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! Seeing this post reminds me how much I'm going to miss homeschooling this year! I've been homeschooling since 2001 and this is the first year that I am taking a break from it. I plan on homeschooling next year again. This school year 4 of my elementary-age kids will be in the same school, and for some it will be the only time they will go to the same school together. We live just a block from the school, to they will all walk together. I thought it would be a neat year for them to go. Next year, I will resume homeschooling. I think the year's break will be good for me. Do you homeschool all the way through middle school and high school? We usually homeschool for the elementary grades, and then let the children decide if they would like to go into regular school when they reach 5th or 6th grade. So far this has really worked well for us. But I am up for anything. My oldest decided to homeschool for middle school, then did two years in regular high school, then came home again for 11th and 12th grades. All his decision. He said he liked to switch it up now and then. He's in college now and doing wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That schedule looks very doable. I think even I could do it. I consider myself to be 'schedule challenged' and am always looking for ways to simplify my notebook. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to be a MOTH mom and LOVED making schedules . . . .but I seem to have outgrown that! :) I'm in the stage of Flexible homeschooling1 :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey! I have really enjoyed your blog. My family just moved back to NC. I am hoping to homeschool our children as well. What do you do with your little ones while the older ones are "schooling"? As I look into homeschooling, this is the one issue I am concerned about! Tips?!
    Also, do you accept emails from your readers, or is this the best way to ask you questions?!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments! I love them and they keep me writing. I really do read each one.